Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Signs and wonders: Draconid meteor shower tonight

The Draconids. Image here.
I just found out that tonight is also the Draconid meteor shower.

Oh, FYI: people who are having trouble sleeping lately, which is a lot of you--I would count that as the influence of the moon. It is seriously, biologically, measurably more difficult to sleep on a night with a full moon, which is tonight and last night.

Anyway, it is pretty unique that today would showcase both a Biblical blood moon and the Draconids.


A book available at LDS bookstores, Pattern of the Heavens by Timothy J. Adams, explains the significance of Draco, the constellation the Draconids are named after.

Adams quotes Moses 4:1-6, 20-21 (his emphases):


And I, the Lord God, spake unto Moses, saying: That Satan, whom thou hast commanded in the name of mine Only Begotten, is the same which was from the beginning, and he came before me, saying—Behold, here am I, send me, I will be thy son, and I will redeem all mankind, that one soul shall not be lost, and surely I will do it; wherefore give me thine honor.
 But, behold, my Beloved Son, which was my Beloved and Chosen from the beginning, said unto me—Father, thy will bedone, and the glory be thine forever.
 Wherefore, because that Satan rebelled against me, and sought to destroy the agency of man, which I, the Lord God, had given him, and also, that I should give unto him mine own power; by the power of mine Only Begotten, I caused that he should be cast down;
 And he became Satan, yea, even the devil, the father of all lies, to deceive and to blind men, and to lead them captive at his will, even as many as would not hearken unto my voice.
 And now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which I, the Lord God, had made.
 And Satan put it into the heart of the serpent, (for he had drawn away many after him,) and he sought also to beguile Eve, for he knew not the mind of God, wherefore he sought to destroy the world.
 20 And I, the Lord God, said unto the serpent: Because thou hast done this thou shalt be cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life;
 21 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, between thy seed and her seed; and he shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
He explains that from these verses we learn that Satan tried to usurp God's power and was therefore cast down. And then he explains that Draco is the constellation Job refers to in Job 26:13 when he says that God "hath formed the crooked serpent" in "the heavens."

He explains (my emphasis),
The celestial sphere experiences a movement known as the precession of the equinoxes. The Earth spinning like a top with an ever-so-slight wobble causes this precession. The precession moves one degree every 72 years, taking about 26,000 years for a complete wobble. In the course of this movement the Earth's axis points to different celestial bodies; approximately six thousand years ago the North Star wasn't Polaris but a star in the tail of Draco. The slow precession has since moved the axis so that it now points to Polaris--the footstool of the true king; not Draco and not Cepheus, but the Nazarene Jesus the Christ.
He goes on to cite two scriptures that seem to allude to this shift, Genesis 22:17 and Genesis 24:60 (the seed as the stars of heaven possessing the gates of his enemies).

The moon represents Israel, so a lunar eclipse represents
Israel's power faltering.
Long story short, Draco represents the serpent--Satan in the creation story. Over the past 6,000 years, the North Star has shifted from the star in the tail of Draco to Polaris, which is located in the footstool of the constellation representing Christ as King.

Traditionally, lunar eclipses represent hard times for Israel, followed eventually by triumph. Draco and his Draconids represent Satan and his followers. A torrent of Draconid meteors happening at the same time as a Biblical blood moon is notable to me--symbolically it would refer to Satan unleashing his minions and wrath just as Israel faced some tough times anyway. Just thought I'd share.



No comments:

Post a Comment