Pages

Friday, August 7, 2015

thoughts on precognition

I have had precognitive moments since I was very young. My earliest one I can remember, I was about seven years old.

Image here.
My precognitive gifts are not super developed--I previously blogged that on a scale of one to ten, mine are at about a three right now. But since I started taking the gift seriously, instead of resenting it and thinking it was crazy, I've learned some things! One of the most important things is that the future can change. Here are a few thoughts about precognitive vision or clairsentience/claircognizance. Or, if you want, maybe a spiritual gift of prophecy.

First, some of the things I've seen, I thought had a very clear timeline on them, and they just don't. Or rather, maybe they do, but I am not familiar with that timeline. Just because you have a vision of something happening in springtime, does not mean that it's happening this coming spring! (D'oh!)

Second, some things seen precognitively are figurative, and some are very literal. I've had funny experiences with this. Some time ago I had a bunch of precognitive moments involving the destruction of my personal property. When I went ahead and totally secured those objects against destruction, it turned out that other objects were just substituted in their place. So some of those visions were figurative: something important to you will be broken. But at the same time, some of those visions were very literal, with things being destroyed in the exact way I had foreseen.

I thought this was funny. Image here.
Third: everything comes down to agency. You choose your future. You see what happens based on your likely choice. Sometimes your choices change. What you see changes. Sometimes what other people choose changes. What you see changes.

An example of that: I had a series of precognitions that I was sure meant I was in a commitment for the long haul. The long haul being years and years of commitment. Imagine my surprise when the whole thing ended after just a few months! It was not my choice to disentangle myself from things, but it happened anyway.

In the scriptures, Jonah saw a city get destroyed, but then the people repented and the city wasn't destroyed. The future can change. The future is an if-then statement. It depends on which If is chosen.
Jonah. Image here.

Fourth, sometimes the future doesn't change, it just doesn't happen the way you think. From the situation listed in #3, some of my images haven't faded, and I wonder if just because I'm not committed to that situation now, doesn't mean I won't re-commit to it in the future and the rest of the things I've seen are still floating out there in time and space somewhere. Sometimes circumstances change in the short term, while remaining unchanged in the long term. That can make visions seem inaccurate, when the reality is that the future you've seen is just taking a different route to manifest than you previously assumed.

Conclusion

These are just a few things that I've learned from trying to pay more attention to the things that come up in my life.  This is a great article by a Mormon remote viewer for the US military on prophecy, visions, and the foreknowledge of God. Go check it out! A brief preview:

This session on the Stark has a number of implications for LDS doctrine. The first is that, despite current scholarly beliefs to the contrary, prophecy is a reality. If it is true that I, an otherwise ordinary person just doing my job in a government psychic espionage unit, could describe the future so specifically, how could anyone deny that a prophet--Isaiah, Abraham, Joseph Smith--might not be able to do the same and more when directly influenced by God?
Such a fascinating article!

No comments:

Post a Comment