Pages

Monday, November 23, 2015

some natural living lifestyle changes

Some of you might know that I have an infrequently-updated other blog about crunchy living. It's called "Crunchy by Accident" because for us it really was an accident that we ended up living a crunchy lifestyle.

But the crunchy lifestyle happens to be awesome and I wanted to take a minute and write about some recent changes you guys might be interested in.

1. Natural Deodorant





I've experimented with DIY natural deodorant before, and have never been too thrilled with it. But this time around, I am a huge fan!! I can't remember my exact recipe... it was something inspired by an internet find but I tweaked it. I believe it was:

4 tbsp coconut oil
4 tbsp baking soda
2 tbsp bentonite clay
2 tbsp cornstarch
10 drops each of spearmint, lemon, orange, and lavender essential oils

Heat it all up on a stove and then add the essential oils.

I keep mine in a jar and just rub some on every morning. This doesn't work like an antiperspirant, so it's been weird getting used to being wetter under the arms. However, the scent is really nice and it lasts through the day and into the following morning.

Here is a good article on armpit detox. I have experienced some detoxing. But I think it's over now. Yay!

2. Handkerchiefs instead of paper tissues

I bought an old king-size flannel sheet from a thrift store and turned it into a few dozen hankies to replace our paper tissues.

I LOVE IT.

I'm used to getting a horrible rash on my philtrum every winter from chronic nose-blowing. Right now we are all sick, though, and... no rash.

I fold up the hankies like cloth tissues and keep them in an empty Kleenex box. They pop up one at a time like a normal tissue. My 4yo can fold them up for me. I bought a PUL-lined wet bag in colors that match my kitchen and that's where used ones go. I just toss them in the normal laundry, wet bag and all. I actually have two wet bags so I can immediately put up the other one while the first washes and then dries on the line.

3. Big Berkey water filter
Big Berkey on my
counter.

I'm in love with my Big Berkey.

I got it a few months ago, the kind with both black and white filters. LOVE IT. A few weeks ago a pipe burst in our neighborhood and all the water became brown sewer water.

Except, my family pretty much didn't even notice because we just drink from the Berkey. Yum.


Conclusion

We've been doing way more crunchy things than that but those are a few things we've been up to lately. Living the crunchy life!


No comments:

Post a Comment